Our food-hub, Feleoko was born out as a crisis response to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. Over time, we recognised the growing need to provide this as an ongoing support service to meet the high demand of whānau and communities struggling to meet their basic living needs.
Providing to those in need
Feleoko relies on the support and generosity of our partner food suppliers, donors and funders. The contents of our food packs depend on the supplies available to us.
Depending on your situation, food packs may include a variety of items such as:
- Canned food
- Milk and bread
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Frozen meat (don't worry, if you're vegetarian, we'll ensure your pack is meat-free)
- Essential cleaning products
- Select personal hygiene products (if needed, in particular for families isolating)
- Baby items (if needed, in particular for families isolating)
- Personal protection equipment (PPE)
Who can access it
Our free Feleoko food-hub service is here to help people who are:
- registered with The Fono’s services
- living in the wider Auckland region and impacted by Covid or the flood.
How do we help
Our Feleoko distribution centre enables us to immediately respond to urgent events that may impact whānau and communities, such severe weather and health emergencies. For families referred from a Fono service The Feleoko team will assess eligibility by:
- Calling you within 1 - 2 working days
- We will ask you about the essential needs you require and determine any allergies.
- Food pack deliveries are once a month, but this can vary depending on your situation and community demands. For emergencies, we'll move quickly.
We bring the service to the community - no need to pick up. You'll need to be at home when our driver delivers your pack, we can't leave the food pack unattended and we might not be able to re-deliver.
We are still supporting Covid and flood impacted households.
If you would like to enquire about our Feleoko services Please call our contact centre - Fale Talanoa: 0800 366 648 (FONO4U)